Self-love is something most of us neglect to practice. We don’t take or make the time. This year one of my goals is to practice more self-love. When it comes to exercising self-love, we need to be present, mindful and approach it with an open mind. Don’t judge yourself too harshly. We all make mistakes. Don’t expect to be perfect. Be kind to yourself. Self-compassion is essential in learning how to love and care for ourselves.
Sometimes we have a crappy day; we got up late, we were stuck in traffic, we stepped in dog crap, the boss is taking her bad mood on us…whatever. We also go through periods of loneliness, depression, and distraction. Sometimes we forget that we are amazing creations in need of self-love.
Today as you go about your day, I wanted to remind you to take a little time and practice some self-love and give you some encouraging words. Just in case you forgot…
- Remember you are worthy of love.
- Remember each time you make a step forward you are exercising courage.
(It’s braver than a step backward.)
- Remember you are strong.
(After all, look what you have already come through.)
- Remember you are capable of finding joy somewhere in the day.
(Count your blessings)
- Remember you are capable of overcoming whatever challenges you face.
(You don’t have to do it alone.)
- Remember you are beautiful.
(How can you not be? God created you.)
- Remember you are more than what you own or do for a living.
(What is your character? Are you kind? Empathetic?)
- Remember you are successful.
(Everyone is successful in something…maybe it’s your marriage, childrearing, you quit smoking, or helped someone that needed it.)
- Remember happiness isn’t about stuff but a state of mind.
(And you are capable of finding your happy place, even amongst chaos!)
- Remember to treat yourself and others with compassion.
(We all need a hand up or a smile or a kind word from time to time.)
- Remember to be grounded.
(Having a firm foundation keeps you from being blown around in rough times.)
- Remember you are capable.
(You are smart enough to figure it out or ask for help.)
- Remember to be your best authentic self.
(No one likes a fake, not even you.)
- Remember to love your body.
(Even the lumpy bits, because if you don’t no one else will.)
- Remember to take time to care for your body.
(It’s the only one you have.)
- Remember you are creative.
(Everything you do, wear, cook, or say is an expression of who you are.)
- Remember to pray.
(In the meantime, who’s answer to prayer are you?)
- Remember to honor and respect your limitations.
(And be grateful for the capabilities you do have.)
- Remember respect is earned, don’t demand it.
(Who’s respect are you earning today.)
- Remember you are becoming more prosperous every day.
(Prosperity isn’t always about money.)
- Remember to cut yourself some slack.
(We are continually evolving and learning, be patient in the process.)
- Remember you can cut toxic habits or relationships.
(You get to set your boundaries.)
- Remember life gives you opportunities for success.
(Jump at them all!)
- Remember you are enough.
(Don’t ever let anyone tell you otherwise.)
- Remember to grow through what you go through.
(If you are going to go through something tough, learn something from it.)
- Remember to take time to meditate.
(Sometimes we just need to unplug and reconnect with our mind, heart, and body.)
- Remember to change the record on negative self-talk.
(It’s only lies anyway.)
- Remember to do something kind for yourself. Buy your favorite kind of tea, get a massage, take a nap.
(Of course, you deserve it!)
- Remember you are worthy of love.
When we plow through life, we can get a little lost along the way. I just wanted to encourage you today. You are not alone. We all could stand to love ourselves a little more. In the words of RuPaul, “If you can’t love yourself, how the hell are you going to love somebody else?”
These things I have spoken to you, that in me you might have peace. In the world you shall have tribulation: but be of good cheer; I have overcome the world.
American King James Version
If you are having a terrible day, let me know. I will always have a kind word for you. How do you practice self-love? Let me know in the comments below.
If you enjoyed this post don’t forget to like it and follow my blog.