Budgeting is hard. Sometimes we concentrate so much on saving money we forget there are small ways we can treat ourselves to help ease the stress of “buckling down.” Here are 16 ways to treat yourself without sabotaging your budget.
- Turn your bedroom into a retreat. Clean up the mess. Put fresh sheets on the bed, fluff up the pillows, open the window to let in some fresh air. Light a candle. Then spend some quiet time in your fresh space.
- Have a spa night with your girlfriends. Invite a few girlfriends over and treat yourself to some homemade facials or pedicures.
- Dust off the good china. Turn an ordinary dinner into something special by using that china you only use for special occasions.
- Make yourself a cup of tea and put on your favorite music. Take a moment to be in the moment.
- Go to bed early or sleep in late. Maybe take a nap! Catch up on the rest you’ve been needing.
- Buy some fresh flowers. This is the season when you can pick up inexpensive flowers at market stands or even at Trader Joe’s.
- Read that book you have been procrastinating or reread one you love.
- Visit someone you love. Go see someone you haven’t seen in a while, whether it is a loved one in a nursing home or that friend you need to catch up with. If you can’t visit them, give them a call.
- Make a dessert and have it for dinner or breakfast the next day.
- Have a game night with your friends. Crack out the board or card games that have been gathering dust.
- Have a dance party with the kids. Push back the living room furniture and crank up the tunes.
- Pack a picnic. Packing a couple of sandwiches and taking them to the beach or park can make an ordinary meal seem special.
- Grab an ice cream. Treat yourself to a dollar cone at a fast food place.
- Practice yoga and meditation. Taking a few minutes to stretch and breath can ease stress.
- Have a movie night with friends. Have everyone bring snacks to share and binge watch rom-coms or your favorite series.
- Have a backyard firepit party. Pick up s’more fixings and have your friends bring drinks. There is nothing more relaxing than hanging around a firepit with friends and having a laugh.
How do you treat yourself when you are on a budget? Let us know in the comments below.