Hygge (HOO-gə) is a Danish word for a feeling or mood of comfort, coziness, contentment and a sense of well-being. Since the late 1990s, it has been associated with the characteristic of Danish culture, although the word is just as widely used in Norway.
Living in a tiny house, our home is already cozy, clean and comfortable. Most of us take pleasure in a simpler life. We are surrounded by the things we love most. As tiny house dwellers, instead of bringing the Hygge in, we take it outside. Whether you are enjoying the company of friends or spending time alone, you can create an intimate space that is your own little slice of heaven. Here are some tips for expanding your Hygge space.
- Create a personal and intimate outdoor living room.
- Surround yourself with the things you love, even outside.
- Spruce up your outdoor seating by adding a comfortable cushion or pillow.
- Use fairy lights, cafe or solar lights.
- Turn on some soothing music, like LoFi.
- Add some candles.
- Plant some fragrant herbs like peppermint, rosemary, and lavender to keep away the bugs.
- Also, plant some potted flowers and arrange them around your cozy outdoor space.
- Drink warm drinks or a glass of wine under the stars or in front of a campfire.
- Enjoy a soup or chili just as the sun goes down.
- Bring out a yummy baked treat.
- Bring out a cozy throw.
- Slip into some cozy clothes.
- If you have a hot tub outside, use it.
- Leave your cell phone inside.
- If your space allows, add a firepit.
What are your favorite ways to bring the cozy outdoors in the summer (or winter)? Let us know in the comments below.