This fresh light summer salad will be a hit at any dinner party. It is full of fresh flavors including herby barley and butter-basted mushrooms. It also makes a great lunch to pack to work. It’s fast and easy to make.
1- 16 oz bag of pearl barley (cooked according to the directions on the package)
16 oz mushrooms quartered or sliced
6-8 sprigs of thyme
1 heaping tsp of minced garlic
4 tbsp of vegan butter
1 c fresh cilantro (chopped)
1 c fresh parsley (chopped)
2 TBS fresh squeezed lemon juice
1 1/2 C vegan parmesan (optional)
- Cook the barley according to the directions on the package. Rinse, strain and cool to room temperature.
- Saute your mushrooms in the vegan butter until they are golden brown. Add in the garlic and stir for about a minute until the garlic releases it’s flavor into the butter. Add in the sprigs of thyme, saving out one sprig. Reduce the heat and tip the pan so the butter runs to the edge. Baste the mushrooms and thyme sprigs with the brown butter for another minute or so.
- Remove the mushrooms from the butter. Pick out the cooked sprigs and toss out.
- Add the cooled barley to the brown butter and toss until everything is coated.
- Remove the buttered barley from the pan and pour into a large bowl.
- Add the chopped cilatro and parsley. Strip the one remaining sprig of thyme into barley.
- Stir well and then add the mushrooms back in.
- Sprinkle with the lemon juice and stir the salad to incorporate everything.
- Add salt and pepper to taste.
- Top with vegan parmesan
- Serve at room temperature.
This recipe feeds 6. Serve with a crusty loaf of bread and a glass of white wine.