In a world where bullying is so pervasive, we could all stand to be a little kinder, to be a little more compassionate. Here are 12 times we could all stand to keep our mouth’s shut. Maybe by carefully considering what we say, we can have a positive impact on the world around us.
Those who guard their mouths and their tongues keep themselves from calamity.
- When you are angry. A quick-tempered person does foolish things,
and the one who devises evil schemes is hated. Proverbs 14:17
- When you can’t speak without yelling. Like a conquered city with no walls,
so is a man who has no self-control. Proverbs 25:28
- When you will damage someone’s reputation. Good-for-nothings conjure up evil ideas; their conversations fuel destructive fires. Proverbs 16:27
- When you don’t have all the facts. To respond to a matter before you hear about it
shows foolishness and brings shame. Proverbs 18:13
- When you can’t be honest. Everything I say promotes justice; not one word is crooked, and nothing is distorted. Proverbs 8:8
- When your words are empty. Do not be too hasty to speak your mind before God or too quick to make promises you won’t keep, for God is in heaven and you are on earth. Therefore, watch your tongue; let your words be few. Ecclesiastes 5:2
- When it is none of your business. And make it your goal to lead a peaceful life, mind your own business, and keep your hands busy in your work, as we have instructed you. .1 Thessalonians 4:11
- When you are tempted to lie. Do away with any talk that twists and distorts the truth; have nothing to do with any verbal trickery. Proverbs 4:24
- When you want to be critical. Ironically this same tongue can be both an instrument of blessing to our Lord and Father and a weapon that hurls curses upon others who are created in God’s own image. James 3:9
- When you should be listening. A wise son heeds his father’s instruction,
but a scoffer does not listen to rebuke. Proverbs 13:1
- When you should consider your words carefully. Words have power in matters of life and death, and those who love them will savor their fruit. Proverbs 18:21
- When you are tempted to overlook an evil person. When a judge says to the guilty, “You are innocent,” he will be cursed by all people; he will be hated by nations. Proverbs 24:24
These are all just reminders of the power of words. Bless someone today with kind words. Think before you speak. And remember, you don’t like it when others are critical or unkind to you. Don’t contribute to the hate in the world.