Tucked into the heart of the White River National Forest, Aspen is well known as a ski destination, but the town has so much more to offer. Here are 12 terrific things to do the next time you are in Apsen.
- Alpine Skiing and Snowboarding. Let’s start off with a “no brainer”. For 70 years Aspen has been a skiing mecca, with 300 inches of annual snow, 4 ski mountains, 29 lifts and gondolas, 15 mountain restaurants and freestyle terrain parks. Ski Aspen!
- Aspen Art Museum houses thought-provoking international contemporary art. To check out what’s happening click here.
- Aspen Filmfest is one of the longest-running film festivals. Enjoy features, documentaries, shorts guest speakers and filmmakers from all over the world. The event usually takes place at the end of September.
- Aspen Laff Festival is sure to amuse anyone with a sense of
humor. For over 7 years the Wheeler has hosted this funnyfestival and keeping people in stitches. For more info click here.
- Aspen Shortfest holds its Oscar-worthy international competition in April for those of you with a shorter attention span. Check out the drama, comedies, animations, and documentaries (40 minutes or less) here.
- Belly Up produces over 300 events and concerts a year. To check out their calendar.
- Golfers don’t
dispair! In the Roaring Fork Valleythere are excellent golf courses to choose from. Five courses are public, three are private and one resort course. Set up a tee time here.
- Jazz Aspen Snowmass (JAS). For over 25 years JAS has welcomed world-class jazz musicians. To find jazz events all year long click here.
- Race Car Driving. The
ApsenMotorsports Park includes a 1.1 mile, 8-turn asphalt course. There is also a half-mile motocross track, dirt rallycross track, half-mile dirt oval and a go-kart track.
- Fly Fishing. Cast your line into the Roaring Fork, Frying Pan or Crystal Rivers. The Aspen Guide Service can hook you up.
- Snowmass Balloon Festival. 30 pilots compete over three days in the highest-altitude balloon event in the U.S. Come for the fun and the free concert. Go Snowmass!
- Krabloonik Dog Sled Rides. Take a one hour trek through the pristine backcountry. Each
sledis pulled by 8-10 Alaskan Huskies and guided by a musher. Visit Krabloonik.com
What are your favorite things to do there? Let me know in the comments below! Don’t forget to like and share this blog.