Not everyone can afford to travel overseas, out of the country, or even out of state. If you don’t have the time or money to go away for more than a few days start off by traveling in your own “backyard.”
You don’t have to be rich to travel and it doesn’t have to involve lengthy or expensive flights. A great way to enrich your life with travel is simply by exploring new areas around you.
Start off by day tripping to a nearby town or spending the weekend in the mountains or at the seaside.
- Visit a new cafe or farmer’s market
- Go hiking at a nearby national park
- Rent a boat and explore a nearby lake
- Visit a different beach
- Grab a drink at a different neighborhood bar
- Hop a ferry, bus, subway or train and explore a different nearby town
- Take part in a weekend activity in another town (i.e. 5k, outdoor concert, parade, polar plunge, cardboard raggatta).
- Find a new swimming hole or ski slope
- Find a new creek to fish in
- Shop, eat, go to a movie on the other side of town
Not only will you learn more about the neighborhoods around you but you will have a greater appreciation for the area. The bonus is that there are fewer things to pack and plan. It’s less expensive, you can get home in quick order if there is an emergency, and you can kick jet-lag to the curb!
What do you do when you explore a new area near you? Share with us in the comments!